Conference / Symposium Papers
- “Disunited Under One Flag? LGBT activists and allies against Trump” International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences’ (IUAES) Inter-Congress. Poznan, Poland, August 2019.
- “Affective productions at the Museo Migrante” Co-authored with Deyanira Clériga Morales. Association of Social Anthropology (ASA) annual meeting. University of East Anglia, September 2019.
- “The District Arts Palace: Artist-activists negotiating space, politics, and action in the age of Trump.” Art, Materiality and Representation, Royal Anthropological Institute Conference. The British Museum, June 2018.
- “Yes, In My Front Yard: Private Houses and Polyvocal Protest in a Washington, D.C. Suburb.” American Anthropological Association (AAA) Annual Meeting. Washington, DC. November 2017. Panel Convener.
- “Queer(y)ing Safe Havens: LGBTQ Asylum Seekers Beyond the Popular Media Lens”. European Association of Social Anthropologists Workshop: Anthropologies of Media and Mobility. University of Cologne, September 2017.
- “Queer Ambivalence in the Asylum Waiting Game.” American Anthropological Association (AAA). Minneapolis, MN. November 2016. (Session organizer.)
- “Centering Intersectional Politics: Queer Migration Activisms ‘After Marriage’” (Roundtable). After Marriage, Center for LGBT Studies, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY, October 2016.
- “Power and Privilege: Decolonizing Migration Struggles” (Roundtable), Critical Border and Migration Studies Annual Conference. Queen Mary’s University, London. September 2015.
- “The Subjective Limits and Possibilities of Being an ‘LGBT Asylum Seeker.’” The International Association for the Study of Sexuality, Culture and Society (IASSCS). Dublin City University, Ireland. June 2015.
- “NGOs and the Construction of Exceptionally Deserving Immigrants.” Society for the Anthropology of North America. John Jay College of the City University of New York. April 2015.
- “Practicing Anthropology Professionally and Personally: Balancing Institutional and Activist Ideals.” Washington Association of Professional Anthropologists. Washington, DC. March 2015.
- “Moving People: Anthropologists Adopting, Interrogating And Refuting Governmental Categorizations” (Co-convener and discussant). European Association of Social Anthropologists Biennial Conference. Tallinn, Estonia. August 2014.
- “Faith-Based Asylum Seeker Support: An Ethnographic Perspective” Symposium of the British Council’s Bridging Voices program: “Addressing the Asylum Crisis: Religious Contributions to Rethinking Protection in Global Politics,” Georgetown University, Washington DC. May 2014.
- “Seeking Representation at the Grassroots and Within the Nonprofit World.” Society for Applied Anthropology Annual Meeting. Albuquerque, NM. March 2014.
- “Suffering Testimony in LGBT Asylum Advocacy.” The Future of NGO Studies Conference. Northern Illinois University. November 2013.
- “On Sexual Nationalisms Contested and Embodied as Subjectivity.” (in absentia) Re-Gendering And (De)Queering Post-Conflict Societies International Colloquium, University of Nottingham. Nottingham, UK. March 2013.
- “‘Why Does This Happen?’ Mash-ups, militarism and visual anthropology.” Society for Anthropology of North America Annual Meeting, Duke University. March 2013.
- “‘God Loves You and It Gets Better!” Ideology, deixis and agency in an anti-homophobic bullying viral campaign.” Lavender Languages and Linguistics, American University, February 2013
- “Religion, Faith, and LGBT Asylum.” DC Metro Area LGBTQ Symposium. George Washington University, Washington, DC. November 2012.
- “Turning Inside Out: LGBT Asylum in the U.S.” Public Anthropology Conference. American University, Washington, DC. October 2012.
Invited Lectures / Panels
- “Postcards, Labels, and Everyday Objects (Or: Experiments in Collaborative Transnational Curation)” The Pitt-Rivers Museum, University of Oxford, October 2018.
- “The Art of Public Assembly and Mass Demonstration” invited lecture to MFA students, Goldsmiths University of London, October 2018.
- “Loud Bodies: Panel Discussion” Goldsmiths Center for Contemporary Art, 2018.
- “Reflections on ‘The Refugee Crisis and Religion’”. Roundtable. American Political Science Association Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. September 2017.
- “Practicing Anthropology Professionally and Personally: Balancing Institutional and Activist Ideals: Panel Discussion” Washington Association of Professional Anthropologists. Washington, DC. March, 2015.
- “Working With LGBTQI Immigrant Detainees: Best Practices.” Refugee Immigrant Ministries. Malden, MA. March 2013.
- “I Am Not Your Fetish: The fetishization of race in American pop culture.” Women’s Initiative Panel, American University, Washington DC. December 2011.